After Jeremiah's death in 1832, his widow turned the house into the town's only inn and tavern, "Mansion House." In 1851, their son Thomas Jefferson Napoleon Bonaparte Holt and his family occupied the house. It stayed in the Holt family for over a hundred years, until the property was purchased by the Pipers in 1932. The Blue Hill Historical Society bought the Holt House in 1970.
The house contains period furniture and clothing, quilts, photographs, town records and memorabilia from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Of special interest is the Children' s Room, packed with toys, clothing, dolls, and games. In addition, old tools, a sleigh, carriages and old wagons are on display in the Carriage Houser. Almost everything in the Holt House has been donated by local families.
Location: The Holt House is located on Water Street, in Blue Hill across from the Blue Hill Chamber of Commerce.
Open: July 1st through September 15th
Hours: Tuesdays and Fridays, 1-4 pm
Saturdays, 11 - 2 pm
Antique Car Rides
Blue Hill Historical Society
Post Office Box 710, 3 Water Street, Blue Hill, Maine 04614
Visit Our Website