Bucksport was settled as Buckstown in 1764 by Jonathan Buck and initially served as a port for shipping out lumber, fish and other products.
In 1779, British forces garrisoned in Castine burned the town. The community was rebuilt and grew into a major port and shipbuilding center. Today, its harbor at the upper end of the Penobscot Bay serves large oil tankers which deliver petroleum products for northern and eastern Maine. the harbor also offers a growing marina and an increasing amount of recreational boating traffic each summer. While walking along the nearly mile long Penobscot River Walkway, visitors get dramatic views of the Bucksport Harbor, the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory, the Waldo Hancock Bridge, the island of Verona and historic Fort Knox in Prospect.
Villages and sections within Bucksport include Bucks Mill, Millvale, Duck Cove, East Bucksport, Long Pond and North Bucksport. The downtown Bucksport area boasts a growing list of businesses that will appeal to all. Visit Town Website for more information.
Orland began as Plantation #2 at the same time Bucksport was settled. when the town was incorporated in 1800, most likely it was named by its first town clerk, Joseph Lee, who owned several ships, one of which was the Orland. Lee found virgin timber here when England was running out of tall timber for its ships masts. Alewives (large-bellied herring) run up the Narramissic River through the village every spring, and otters, osprey and other wildlife are frequently seen in the river and along its shores. Visit Town Website for more information.
Verona is a town in Hancock County, incorporated on February 18, 1861 from Wetmore Isle Plantation, and takes its name from that of an Italian city. It was also known as Penobscot Island and Orphan Island, the latter because it was all that General Henry Knox had to bequeath to his orphaned grandchildren.Once a shipbuilding community, it built Commodore Robert E. Peary's ship the Roosevelt for his expedition to the North Pole.
The Island lies in the Penobscot River between the main and the Eastern Channel, the latter being supplemented with the outlet of the Orland River. The Waldo-Hancock Suspension Bridge provides the link from the Town of Prospect as U.S. Route 1 and Maine Route 3 pass through the northern portion of the town, then to Bucksport.
Prospect is a small town in Waldo County, settled in 1759 and incorporated on February 24, 1794 from a portion of Frankfort. It later set off land to form a part of Searsport (1845) and to form Stockton, now Stockton Springs (1857).
Located on the west bank of the Penobscot River, across from Bucksport, the main village is at the junction of Maine Route 174 and U.S. Route 1A, near the headwaters of the South Branch of the Marsh River.
Prospect is home to Fort Knox, built in 1844 from Mount Waldo granite from neighboring Frankfort and named for Henry Knox, the first U.S. Secretary of War. Notable for its brick arches and underground passages, it was built as a defense in the Aroostook War. Visit Town Website for more information.
Stockton Springs is a town in Waldo County, incorporated on March 13, 1857 as Stockton from a portion of Prospect. Originally named for an English seaport, the name was changed to Stockton Springs on February 5, 1889 in hopes of capitalizing on the bottling of local spring water. However, when sediment was discovered in the bottles, the plan was shelved.
Fort Point is a peninsula, on Cape Jellison just north of Sears Island, that extends almost to the center of Penobscot Bay at its northerly reaches. Governor Pownall built Fort Pownall there in 1759. The British burned their fort in 1775 and 1779 to prevent it from falling into enemy (American patriot) hands. The town lies at the junction of U.S. Routes 1 (east to Bucksport) and 1A (north to Bangor). Visit Town Website for more information.